Tuesday, June 3, 2008

A Trip to the Zoo

Tim took the day off of work today and we took a family trip to the zoo. It was so fun, but very tiring too. For anyone who might be interested, the Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium is just wonderful.

Here they are looking at the Komodo Dragon. We told Joey to put his arm around Bekah. I think it looks like an awkward Prom picture.

Ryan wanted to push the stroller like Daddy.

Here they are looking at elephants, but Bekah was more interested in the fish.
Elephants:

The grizzly bear was very playful while we were there. We watched him for a while.

Even the PPG Aquarium is rooting for the Pens, appropriately enough, in the penguin exhibit. I think Tim was excited that he had a better playoff beard than the penguins there.

Ryan was VERY excited about the fish. They were a favorite of Bekah and Joey's when we went last fall.


Here's a nice family picture: Joey, Ryan, some random kid, and Bekah. I tried to wait for the kid to move on, but he was pretty insistent on being in our picture. You'd think he could have at least smiled.

Tim hadn't yet seen the newest exhibit there: the polar bears. I was really excited for him to see them. We watched them for quite some time last fall. Come to find out, polar bears spend about 90% of their time on the land. Unfortunately, we weren't there for the six minutes that hour that they spent in the water. Bekah enjoyed the tunnel anyway.

Joey's a fan of anything he can touch. I'm fairly sure this deer remembered him from last fall and now is considering early retirement. To sum up: the deer wasn't quite as thrilled to see Joey as he was to see the deer.

And also the sheep. (FYI, this sheep's name is Andrea. The goat in the same area is named Hannah. The other sheep is named Bonnie, so I guess the Stanges will need to have another girl, or change Julia's name.)


Nothing like a family picture sitting on a tortoise!

Okay, well, I tried to resist, but I just have to post one rear-facing animal picture. I don't know why, but I find this just too funny. All of our zoo trips involve multiple pictures of the backsides of animals. Maybe it's because it seems like this is what the animals want... So many people spend so much time trying to get "good" pictures of the animals, and this is what they give you. So, I just go with it. I will resist posting the backs of the sheep, zebra, and bear. The best are the giraffes, but they were non-compliant today. Though I may have posted one from our vacation last year. Tim made me promise to include a disclaimer that none of the animal bum pictures were taken by him.

6 comments:

Stange Family said...

how funny that Ryan liked the fish so much when that was what Joey and Bekah liked when we were there in October!
I love the picture of Joey and the sheep named Andrea. I hope he doesn't "baaa" at me when I see him next...

Tricia said...

Looks like you guys had fun. We were at the Philadelphia Zoo a couple of weeks ago but my camera never made it on the trip. SO ANNOYING!! Good thing Mom got some pictures because it was Mariah's first trip.

Tricia :)

Aunt Karen (Tyler & Katie too) said...

Great family pictures and pictures of the animals. You guys certainly looked like you had a blast at the zoo. My all time favorite exhibit is the polar bears. When we were there last year, they were being very playful in the water. Got some great pictures. Loved the picture of Tim and the Penguins. LET'S GO PENS!!!

Anonymous said...

I loved the zoo pictures!! I also loved your commentary, Mandie. You are very witty! Mom P.

Beth Laurie said...

Zoos are fun. Cute kids.

Anonymous said...

We are very glad you enjoyed your visit to the Pittsburgh Zoo and we enjoyed reading about your experience. Would you consider putting a link to the Pittsburgh Zoo on your website? It would help us with our SEO marketing and your readers will get a glimpse at some really cute videos taken at the zoo and other information pertaining to your blog. If you are interested in linking our website, please send me an email and I’ll make sure you link to the proper page. Thanks in advance for your consideration of this request.

mkintern@pittsburghzoo.org